Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tomato Question

Hi everyone,

I have a tomato question.  As you can see from the video, we're training the tomatoes to twine.  We use the neat little tomato clips.  To do that, you have to sucker them, which is basically, removing the growth between the main vine and the compound leaf (basically a side branch that is all leaves).  You can search online and find probably hundreds of posts and videos about suckering tomatoes.

Here's the trick - sometimes, the main vine 'splits' into two main vines.  Makes it real hard to pinch off a sucker when the sucker is half of the main vine.  Especially when the neither 'side' is dominant.  The fact that the plant is doing that, makes me also wonder if pinching (or cutting) off half of the main vine is a good idea.

What to do?  Of course I can leave it and hope that there are now just two main vines to deal with, albiet the extra twine and work that'll require.  Any other ideas?

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about.  As you can see, there is no compound leaf (still thinking of the best word here) at the base of the split, which would mean that I missed a pinch-off:



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have had no problems cutting off half the plant in such situations. I like to use a paste made out of equal parts clay, sand & cow manure (plus enough water to make it into a paste)to paint onto the plant's wound(s)once I cut it or in instances the whole plant is kept.


P.S. I LOVE the Pub!